turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct expenses for working from home since March of 2020. Expenses for having to set up a home office?

For example, internet expenses. Expenses such as the purchase of a desk. Electricity expenses for plugging in computer systems. etc.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I deduct expenses for working from home since March of 2020. Expenses for having to set up a home office?

Sorry---W-2 employees cannot deduct expenses for working from home.  Job-related expenses were eliminated as a deduction for W-2 employees by the tax laws that changed for 2018 and beyond.  Your state tax laws might be different.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes, start up costs are deductible. You may deduct qualified start-up costs you paid or incurred while setting up your business up to $50,000.  It can either be deducted in the year you open the business up to $ 5,000 and amortized the remaining for 15 years.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies