Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Can I deduct expenses for elder in home caregivers?

2 Replies
Level 15

Can I deduct expenses for elder in home caregivers?

Please provide some details.  Who is the person that is receiving the in-home care?  Is it your spouse, or a person who can b claimed as your dependent?  Who is providing the care?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Opus 17
Level 15

Can I deduct expenses for elder in home caregivers?

First, you can deduct medical expenses you pay for yourself, your spouse, your dependents, or an elder relative (such as a parent) but only if you provide more than half the parent's total financial support.  (Remember that a parent's social security may not be taxable income, but is counted as support they provide themselves.)   If this elder is not your dependent, you can't deduct costs even if you pay them, but the elder person may be able to deduct them.


Medical expenses include nursing services, and do not have to be provided by an actual nurse, but must be the type and kind of services usually performed by nurses, such as feeding, bathing, dressing, wound care, providing medication, and so on.  Costs for housekeeping, meal preparation and companionship are generally not deductible.  If the caregiver provides multiple services, you must allocate the cost proportionally.


The entire cost of an in-home aide can be considered a deductible medical expense if the person has a chronic illness that is permanent or likely to lead to death or has a cognitive impairment so that they would be a danger to themselves or others if left alone; and the person requires assistance with 2 or more activities of daily living; and the care is provided according to a written care plan developed by a qualified medical professional or social worker.  If these tests are not met, only the medical/nursing care portion of the caregiver is a deductible medical expense.


If the person is your dependent, and lives in your home, and is physically or mentally unable to care for themselves, and you pay for care so that you (and your spouse if married) can go to work (because they can't be alone), you may qualify to apply the non-medical part of the care toward the Child and Dependent Care Credit,

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies