Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I correct the last year's amount of the carryover foreign taxes directly on Line 1 of the Sch.B of the Form 1116?

I realize that on the Schedule B of Form 1116: the carryover foreign tax credits (due to excess of  foreign taxes) for the previous year are wrong.
Can I just correct them on this year return  ?
Should I alter directly the amount on the line 1 of the Schedule B of form 1116?
Or should I use lines 2 b, c, d, ... ?
(everything else on my last year's return is correct...)
Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Can I correct the last year's amount of the carryover foreign taxes directly on Line 1 of the Sch.B of the Form 1116?

It is allowed. Whether it may trigger an audit depends on what was entered last year @Mary67.

If the wrong amount was carried over from 2020 to 2021 then there is no reason for an audit.

If you made a mistake in calculating the carryover on your 2020 return, then you should (1) change the carryover amount on 2021 and (2) amend 2020 to show the correct, matching number.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

line 2 is for specific type of adjustment under sec 905(c).  just change line 1

Thank you for your fast answer. 

Would this unexplained change trigger an audit? Is it allowed? 

Thank you again.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

It is allowed. Whether it may trigger an audit depends on what was entered last year @Mary67.

If the wrong amount was carried over from 2020 to 2021 then there is no reason for an audit.

If you made a mistake in calculating the carryover on your 2020 return, then you should (1) change the carryover amount on 2021 and (2) amend 2020 to show the correct, matching number.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, ErnieS0. This is really helpful.

Here is the feedback for the TurboTax behavior that led to this mistake:

In my case (income re-sourced by treaty), the income subject to the double taxation was equal to the AGI. However, the income taxed by the foreign country was larger (it included all the SS benefits plus the stimulus checks). The questionnaire for the foreign income comes before I am aware of the taxable part of my SS benefits. Therefore I entered the actual income taxed abroad and the actual foreign taxes paid. 

When the software prompted that only the AGI can be taken into account, I accepted it. No prompts followed that I have to adjust accordingly the foreign tax reported as covered by the treaty, nor the software automatically re-calculated these. Perhaps these should be added. Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies