turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TaxNerd

Can I contribute to an HSA once I enroll in Medicare?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No. Enrollment in any Medicare program makes you ineligible for HSA contributions. You will be able to make a partial year HSA contribution in the year you begin Medicare. This amount will be based on the number of months you were eligible prior to the Medicare enrollment. For example, a Medicare enrollment starting October 1 2017 will still allow you to contribute nine months (Jan thru Sept) of the annual amount. You can add this amount anytime before April 15, 2018 when you must file tax forms.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No. Enrollment in any Medicare program makes you ineligible for HSA contributions. You will be able to make a partial year HSA contribution in the year you begin Medicare. This amount will be based on the number of months you were eligible prior to the Medicare enrollment. For example, a Medicare enrollment starting October 1 2017 will still allow you to contribute nine months (Jan thru Sept) of the annual amount. You can add this amount anytime before April 15, 2018 when you must file tax forms.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies