Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Can I clam daughter and grandchild if she received welfare?

If daughter had a baby in July and turned 24 in December but lived with me almost the whole year and was not a student or employed can I claim them as dependants? In August after the baby was born she applied for Welfare and now gets a very small amount of income for them. It is not enough to fully support them both.
1 Reply
New Member

Can I clam daughter and grandchild if she received welfare?

Yes, you may be able to claim your daughter and grandchild as Qualifying Relative dependents if:

• You provided more than half of their support.

•She made less than $4,050 in gross taxable income. 

• She lives with you (365 days in the year) or they are related to you.

• They aren't a dependent on someone else’s taxes.

• She isn't doing their taxes with a spouse (married filing jointly).

• They are U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican residents.

You can’t claim a dependent if you are a dependent on someone else’s taxes

See Rules for Claiming a Dependent on Your Tax Return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies