Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim tax deductions for diminished value? After the repairs, my car had estimated diminished value of 9k as computed by DV adjuster. Please let me know

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
HelenC1
Expert Alumni

Can I claim tax deductions for diminished value? After the repairs, my car had estimated diminished value of 9k as computed by DV adjuster. Please let me know

Generally, you may deduct casualty and theft losses relating to your home, household items, and vehicles on your federal income tax return if the loss is caused by a federally declared disaster declared by the President. You may not deduct casualty and theft losses covered by insurance, unless you file a timely claim for reimbursement and you reduce the loss by the amount of any reimbursement or expected reimbursement.

Disaster Area Losses – A federally declared disaster is a disaster that occurred in an area declared by the President to be eligible for federal assistance under the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act. It includes a major disaster or emergency declaration under the Act. See See the TurboTax FAQ: What if I have property that was lost or damaged (a casualty loss)?for more information.

If your property is personal-use property or isn't completely destroyed, the amount of your casualty loss is the lesser of:

TurboTax will let you explore itemized deductions to see if it is right for your situation.

1. Type "casualty loss" in your program's search box.
  2. Select the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions.

[Edited 2-10-2020|10:15 am PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies