Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim my son who is a college student as a dependent

My 23 year old son is a full time student who lives in an off campus apartment while at school.  When not at school he lives at home thru the summer and the last couple months due to covid at home.  He was paying the apartment with his savings.  He has had no job/income the last year.  We pay for health insurance, car insurance, phone and all expenses while at home and help some while at school.  We are cosigners for his tuition loan.  Can we claim him as a dependent as he won't be filing taxes since he had no income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Can we claim him as a dependent?

A.  Yes.

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, student status, a relationship test and residence test. Only a QC qualifies a taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit. They are interrelated but the rules are different for each.

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled
  2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships are considered third party support and not as support provided by the student. Student loans cosigned by the parent are considered parental support.
  3. He lived with the parent, including temporary absences such as away at school (even living off campus), for more than half the year.  That is, his time at school is counted as living with you.

The support value of the home, provided by the parent, is the fair market rental value of the home plus utilities & other expenses divided by the number of occupants.

You can claim him even if he did need to file a tax return.  If he has sufficient income (usually more than $12,200), he can & should still file taxes. In TurboTax, he indicates that somebody else can claim him as a dependent, at the personal information section.  TT will check that box on form 1040.

Even if he had less, he is allowed to file if he needs to get back income tax withholding. He cannot get back social security or Medicare tax withholding.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Can we claim him as a dependent?

A.  Yes.

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, student status, a relationship test and residence test. Only a QC qualifies a taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit. They are interrelated but the rules are different for each.

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled
  2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships are considered third party support and not as support provided by the student. Student loans cosigned by the parent are considered parental support.
  3. He lived with the parent, including temporary absences such as away at school (even living off campus), for more than half the year.  That is, his time at school is counted as living with you.

The support value of the home, provided by the parent, is the fair market rental value of the home plus utilities & other expenses divided by the number of occupants.

You can claim him even if he did need to file a tax return.  If he has sufficient income (usually more than $12,200), he can & should still file taxes. In TurboTax, he indicates that somebody else can claim him as a dependent, at the personal information section.  TT will check that box on form 1040.

Even if he had less, he is allowed to file if he needs to get back income tax withholding. He cannot get back social security or Medicare tax withholding.

Thank you for the quick reply...I thought I could but wasn't positive and didn't want to give away a deduction if my son can't use it anyway since he had no job.  Much appreciated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies