Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim my son and get the child income credit for him and my boyfriend claim our daughter and get the child income credit for her? We live together.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Can I claim my son and get the child income credit for him and my boyfriend claim our daughter and get the child income credit for her? We live together.

If your boyfriend is not the father of your son, you can claim your son if your son does not provide more than half of his own support and is under 19 years of age or under 24 years of age and a full time student.  If both of you are his parents you can decide who will claim him.

As for the daughter who is a child for both you and your boyfriend, you can decide between you who will claim her.

Review the information in this TurboTax article for more information by clicking on the hyperlink. Rules for Claiming a Dependent

The IRS will make the decision under the Tie-Breaker Rules only if you both claim a child (noted and linked in the article).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If your boyfriend is not the father of your son, you can claim your son if your son does not provide more than half of his own support and is under 19 years of age or under 24 years of age and a full time student.  If both of you are his parents you can decide who will claim him.

As for the daughter who is a child for both you and your boyfriend, you can decide between you who will claim her.

Review the information in this TurboTax article for more information by clicking on the hyperlink. Rules for Claiming a Dependent

The IRS will make the decision under the Tie-Breaker Rules only if you both claim a child (noted and linked in the article).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies