Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Can I claim my mileage to and from work while on military orders as a reservist?

1 Reply
New Member

Can I claim my mileage to and from work while on military orders as a reservist?

Yes, as a member of a reserve component of the Armed Forces, you can deduct all of your mileage as long as you travel more than 100 miles away from home, in connection with your performance of services as a member of the reserves.

  • You can deduct your travel expenses as an adjustment to gross income rather than as a miscellaneous itemized deduction.
  • The amount of expenses you can deduct is an adjustment to gross income reported on Form 1040, line 24. 
  • You can also deduct for lodging, meals, and incidental expenses and the standard mileage rate (for car expenses) plus any parking fees, ferry fees, and tolls.  
  • Any expenses in excess of these amounts can be claimed only as a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2% limit.
  • Your reservist expenses will be entered in Form 2106 Employee Business Expenses.

To enter your unreimbursed Job (Reservist) Related Expenses, please see the instructions and screenshots below:

Job-related expenses are reported on Form 2106 (Employee Business Expenses).

  • Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  • (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)
  • In the search box, search for 2106 and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  • At the Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for screen, enter your occupation.
  • Click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.  
  • If you land on the Job-Related Expenses Summary screen instead, you can either Edit expenses for an existing job or click Add Another Occupation to enter expenses for a new one.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings