• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
proudnana2015

Can I claim light bill, water bill and auto insurance on my taxes since they aren't in my name but I pay them from my bank account

I pay the light bill, water bill and auto insurance for my boyfriend from my bank account but the utilities are in his name not mine
3 Replies
xmasbaby0
Level 15

Can I claim light bill, water bill and auto insurance on my taxes since they aren't in my name but I pay them from my bank account

No, these are not tax deductible.  Paying for things for your boyfriend is a gift, and gifts to individuals are not deductible.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jerry2000
Alumni

None of that is deductible. Personal living expenses are not deductible.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Personal living expenses are not deductible. There are a couple of exceptions, mortgage interest and real estate tax. But, even then, to get the deduction you must not only pay them; you must be legally obligated to pay them. 

Privacy Settings
v