turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ezced

Can I claim a dependent on 2019 in Michigan and it not affect the dependents Section 8 application in Florida?

Hi, weird situation and question to ask. But I have a dependent in MI, who will be applying for section 8/govt assistance in 2020 in Florida (they’re moving down after Jan 1 2020). 

if I claim them on my taxes as a dependent, does this affect their possibility for filing for govt assistance/section 8/etc in Florida in 2020? I’ve been unable to find an answer, because if it affects them then I will have to refrain from claiming them. Thanks all!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Can I claim a dependent on 2019 in Michigan and it not affect the dependents Section 8 application in Florida?

You'll be fine claiming them on  your 2019 taxes, provided they will not be submitting their application until after the new year. If they've already submitted their application you can still claim the dependent. It just raises questions and a bit of a delay once their application comes up for review. Then so long as you do not claim them in 2020 it's really not a problem for you to claim on your 2019 return provided of course, they actually qualify as your dependent either under the qualifying dependent child rules (if an undergraduate student) or the qualifying dependent relative rules.

Basically what happens during the application review process they'll see on his tax return where he indicated he could be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return for 2019. Then the state HUD authority will want verification that they will NOT be claimed as a dependent on another return in 2020. That's all really.

Do note that if the person is in FL for the primary purpose of attending school, that alone does not qualify them as a FL state resident. Doesn't even come close.

Ezced

Thank you! It’s not for a child, but an older adult. Thank you!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies