susana-a

Can I claim a deduction for cash I paid to my adult daughter for her son's medical expenses?

Rachel_W

No, unfortunately, you can't claim a deduction for cash you paid your daughter for her son's medical expenses if you are not claiming him as a Dependent.

The IRS only allows you to deduct medical expenses for yourself and those that you are claiming as a Dependent.

Rachel_W

Hal_Al

What you paid constitutes  a gift to you daughter. So it counts as her paying the medical bills. She can deduct it, if she qualifies to itemize deductions.