We can help you file Form 8862. Follow these steps to add it to your taxes.
Open your return if you don't already have it open.
(To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)
In the search box, search for 8862 and then click the Jump to 8862 link in the search results. This will navigate to the Earned Income Credit section. Click Continue.
Answer any questions that apply to you and navigate to the screen where it asks Do any of these uncommon situations apply?
Check the box that says, I/we got a letter/notice from the IRS telling me/us to fill out an 8862 form to claim the Earned Income Credit.
Click Continue and then Done.
On the Since you got an IRS notice, we need to check if any of these apply to your situation screen, click the radio button next to No, none of these apply and I need to fill out the 8862 form.
Form 8862 will display. Fill out any necessary info and click Continue.
Congrats on filling out Form 8862. We'll help you file it when you're ready.
Follow these steps to add Form 8862 to your taxes.
- Sign in to your TurboTax account and click Continue your return.
- Click Search in the upper right-hand corner and search for 8862.
- Select the first result: Jump to 8862.
Now you are at the beginning of the Earned Income Credit.
- Continue on the first two screens and stop when you see Do any of these uncommon situations apply?
- Check the box that says, I got an IRS notice saying that I can only claim the Earned Income Credit if I file an 8862 and Continue.
- Select Done, but hang on, there are a few more steps to go.
- Answer the question about your IRS notice.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"