turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vikky1058

By accident I input that I lived outside the US for more than 6 months. How did I fix this? I was in the US the full year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

By accident I input that I lived outside the US for more than 6 months. How did I fix this? I was in the US the full year.

In TurboTax online edition, here are the steps:

1. After sign into your account, select Take me to my return
  2. At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in earned income credit and Enter
  3. Select Jump to earned income credit
  4. Next screen, Let's see if you get the Earned Income Credit, select Continue
  5. Next screen, Do any of these uncommon situations apply?
  6. Should have the first box checked, you lived outside the United States in 2017, select Continue
  7. Next screen, How long did you live in the U.S. in 2017? edit your information

I done as instructed above for i have made the same mistake in answering I lived outside the u. S. For at least 6 months last year when I did not. But when I clicked "jump to earned income credit" it just tell me that unfortunately I do not qualify for it, there is no option to change my answer anywhere. Please help! Tax deadline is tomorrow!!
Tk90

Did you ever figure this out? I just did the same thing and can’t figure out how to correct it!

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

Let's start with the 'My Info' page (left black panel) to be sure you did not select that you lived in a Foreign or US Possession under Tell us the state(s) you lived in.

Next check the earned income credit section (EITC) by selecting Deductions and Credits

• Edit beside Earned Income Credit (EIC)
  • Continue until you reach the question: Did you live in the U.S. for more than six months in 2020 (see image below)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
chris B22
Returning Member

I have a similar question but for my dependents. It lists only one of my two dependents as living in America for more than 6 months, and I have no idea where to change this. 

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

In TurboTax Online, access dependent information as follows:

• Down the left side of the screen, click My Info.
  • Scroll down to the name of the dependent that you are concerned about.  Click Edit to the right.
  • Review the interview questions, especially at the screen How many months did the dependent live with you?

A qualifying child must have lived with you more than half the year.  A qualifying relative must have lived with you all year.

gavinseim

These options don't exist. TurboTax tax gives us questions to answer and then gives us no way to get back to change those questions like they did in past years.

THIS SHOULD NOT BE HIDDEN! it defeats the entire point of using a software.

MarilynG1
Employee Tax Expert

There are a few places where you could have indicated you lived outside the US.  In the MY INFO section, where you give your 'current mailing address' is one place.

Also, to qualify for certain credits (like the Earned Income Credit), you can indicate that you lived outside the US.  Also for the the Home Energy Credit.

Since we can't see your return in this forum, you may want to revisit your Deductions & Credits topics to see where you could have entered this info. 

Another option is to Clear & Start Over. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies