turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cfarlow

Business closed; donated unsold books; don't qualify to itemize; can I deduct unsold books as a loss?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AlanT
Expert Alumni

Business closed; donated unsold books; don't qualify to itemize; can I deduct unsold books as a loss?

There is not a specific place to enter inventory that was unsellable at the end of the year.  The proper way to account for this inventory is to leave it out of your final inventory count.  When you enter your ending inventory do not include the inventory that "went bad".  This way you get a deduction for the cost of purchasing the inventory or the materials and supplies used to manufacture the inventory.

You will only get a deduction for the amount you paid to purchase the inventory.  You do not get to deduct the "lost revenue" from not being able to sell the inventory.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sarahfbu

So one would have end of year inventory as "0"? I am just giving away my inventory and donating what I can. I have a lot of infant items and most places will not accept it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies