Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hadrian21

Bug/Glitch in Form 2555 functionality

I'm using TT because it supports Form 2555 for foreign-earned income, but unfortunately there seems to be a major glitch in that functionality.

1. In the Foreign Earned income section, TT correctly identifies that only my wife's income is foreign wages.

2. TT asks us to confirm the amount... so far everything looks good. On to the next screen...

3. Suddenly I'm eligible for a refund?! No way. Let me go back and double-check those numbers.

4. Ah, that's why. TT suddenly miscalculated my wife's income at x2 the correct amount, causing our 'Form 2555 Foreign Earned Income Exclusion' to be -$65,124.

The glitch manifests on the 'Confirm X's Wages Already Entered' page. When you're going into the page, the wages earned amount displays correctly. However, when you continue past that page, it suddenly doubles. Using the back/continue button, you can see the value flip between correct and incorrect.

To ensure it's not just me misunderstanding something, I used the 'Explain My Refund' feature, which shows that our total income includes -$65,124 in Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. That number is twice what my wife made.

I'm not sure how widespread this issue is, but theoretically any TT customers who have filed with a Form 2555 this tax year could be affected by flawed calculations... On the off-chance someone from Intuit is hanging around, could you please look into this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hadrian21

Bug/Glitch in Form 2555 functionality

If anyone else encounters this issue, apparently I was meant to enter '0' in the "wages adjustment" part because the income was all foreign earned income. Entering the $32k amount is why it was doubling. Not a glitch, just the explanation text was not very clear! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies