KLCollins

Automotive technician deductions

I am an automotive technician that purchased several thousand dollars worth of tools in 2019. I work for a dealership.  Am I able to deduct the expenses from my federal taxes?

JohnB5677

Automotive technician deductions

No,  Based on what you've said you cannot deduct the cost of the tools as job related expenses.  ALL EMPLOYEE BUSINESS EXPENSES are NOT deductible  for tax years 2018 thru 2025 ( or until the IRS changes the rules again) on a federal tax return.   Some state's may still allow it which is why the program allows you to still enter them in the federal section.

Edited 02/27/2020

Automotive technician deductions

@JohnB5677 

Did you forget ALL EMPLOYEE BUSINESS EXPENSES are NOT deductible  for tax years 2018 thru 2025 ( or until the IRS changes the rules again) on a federal tax return.   Some state's may still allow it which is why the program allows you to still enter them in the federal section ... the info will carry to the state if applicable.