turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why cant I claim daycare for child that was born last year?

IRS publication 503 says for born children you can claim them as long as they lived half their life in my home.  Kid was born 7/22/2017 but wont let me add his daycare expenses.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KiaraE

As long as the child was born before 31 December 2017 they will be considered to have lived with you for the whole year. Make sure you put this as the amount of time that the child has lived with you. Right now, if you did not put that, TurboTax is seeing it as if the child did not live with you for more than 6 months, which is a requirement for this deduction. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KiaraE

As long as the child was born before 31 December 2017 they will be considered to have lived with you for the whole year. Make sure you put this as the amount of time that the child has lived with you. Right now, if you did not put that, TurboTax is seeing it as if the child did not live with you for more than 6 months, which is a requirement for this deduction. 

I entered in his birth date and info when I started the return, and he shows as a dependent, but the childcare section says   "Why doesn't Preston qualify for this credit?" I have used turbo tax for 7 years now without a problem, is this a glitch in the software?   It wont let me manually add a child care expense for him?
KiaraE

Review the My Info section for his personal information and make sure that it says he lived with you the entire year.

Thanks, I found the mistake, in fine print when entering your dependents its says "if they were born enter the whole year" I must have missed that.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies