turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mpzappia

As a ride share driver filing 2018 tax return can i deduct as a business expense the cost of Turbotax paid in 2018 to file our 2017 tax return?

We are filing married filing jointly, and we used with TurboTax Deluxe in 2017. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

As a ride share driver filing 2018 tax return can i deduct as a business expense the cost of Turbotax paid in 2018 to file our 2017 tax return?

You can deduct the expense of your tax software to the extent that the price exceeded the cost of software that you would've used strictly for a personal, non-business return.

For example, if you could've purchased software for strictly you and your wife's income for, say, $50, but software that included Self-Employment features cost $80, then you can reasonably deduct the difference -- $30 -- as a business expense.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

You can deduct the expense of your tax software to the extent that the price exceeded the cost of software that you would've used strictly for a personal, non-business return.

For example, if you could've purchased software for strictly you and your wife's income for, say, $50, but software that included Self-Employment features cost $80, then you can reasonably deduct the difference -- $30 -- as a business expense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies