turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

colby1039

My spouse had earned income in 2016 (foreign). But the application is still telling me that we don't qualify for the childcare deduction.

I work for an American employer in Germany, but my wife works for a German one.  We both earned income in 2016, but she doesn't have a W2.  I registered her income in the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion section, but for some reason I still don't qualify for the childcare deduction, since TurboTax still thinks that we had only one earned income.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My spouse had earned income in 2016 (foreign). But the application is still telling me that we don't qualify for the childcare deduction.

if you are excluding her income, she doesnt have any income to qualify for the dependent care credit.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

are you using the foreign earned income exclusion?
colby1039

Yes, she's listed in the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, but it doesn't register that for the childcare deduction check.

if you are excluding her income, she doesnt have any income to qualify for the dependent care credit.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies