turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

shakoorj

What does "Foreign source amount included in dividends" mean in Box 6d of the Form 1099=DIV Worksheet? And where do I finds the information?

My 1099 DIV worksheet only has a Box 6 in it and no Box 6d. Where do I find Box 6d to enter a zero in it? Also I can't see a Form 1116 anywhere. Please help me get rid of this "Foreign Source amount required" error so I can e-file my return.
gwviar

What does "Foreign source amount included in dividends" mean in Box 6d of the Form 1099=DIV Worksheet? And where do I finds the information?

Box 6d didn’t come up on my taxes until the review was done, that’s when it went to where I needed to to enter my information. I’m pretty sure TT corrected that error so it should enter the information for you now.
clindoc50
Returning Member

I am not sure it is a software error, and in any case it is not intractable.  It does, however, requiring digging deeply into your 1099-DIV supporting information.  

Vanguard, for example, provided me with a 20 page overview.  Pages 9 through 19 were the granular detail that does not appear on the 1099-DIV itself.  Page 18 reported the detail of foreign taxes paid as well as foreign income (by fund and overall total).  Very nice and useful.  

Then how to get it into TT was the next challenge.  I actually did use EasyStep (not forms) and it was rather easy.  Use PERSONAL and then DEDUCTIONS & CREDITS and then REPORTING FOREIGN TAXES PAID.

I hope this helps.

I have a same situation.  

Can you please clarify - when you say Vanguard provided a 20-page overview - is that one of the forms or statements they generate or is that a response you specifically got from them re: foreign income/taxes paid on their mutual fund?

Appreciate your help.
clindoc50
Returning Member

The form to which I refer comes automatically (snail mail) from Vanguard.  It is also available to me when I log into my account.  I never asked them for assistance.

Are you referring to the Vanguard year-end statements?
clindoc50
Returning Member

The form I have is entitled "2017 Tax Information Statement."  I suspect that it is the same as what you mentioned.

I do not think there is an industry standard, or requirement yet, for brokerage reporting of total foreign income.  It is nice that Vanguard provided that summary information, but I know that my 20-page Fidelity 2017 Tax Statement did not, so it seems to vary by broker.

This is a software error and TT needs to address it.  They failed to map out the calculations for all the decision tree branches concerning Foreign Taxes Paid (FTP).  TT correctly covered the case when FTP exceeds the threshold ($600 joint) generating a Form 1116.  However, TT failed to address the scenario where FTP is below the threshold, which appears to be what was creating the headache for all of us.  So we waste our time searching for a TT error fix and then some of us waste even more time finding and inputting the foreign income data so that it goes to a worksheet that never uses it for anything.

TT used to be the gold standard.  Not this year, something has gone wrong.  I ran into two other software errors, the Form 2210A1 glitch and the Educational Expense error. I hope TT puts some resources into fixing these glitches so more of us can be spared from wasting our time... the IRS already creates enough headaches.
Yinzer

I'm struggling with finding this information over 56 cents in foreign taxes.  Literally under a dollar.
WA7C
Level 1

Start from Deductions & Credits --> Foreign Taxes.  TT walks you through entering the foreign source income only if you click off "You have no more foreign taxes to enter other than those you already entered in 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-OID, or a Schedule K-1."

Apparently the source income that should be entered is the total foreign income, *not* the QID eligible foreign income.

There is no standard location for where to find this information. I received a separate statement from Vanguard with this information.  For Dodge & Cox International, I had to multiply 1099-DIV box 1a by the foreign source income percentage amount, found in a separate form.  For Merrill Lynch, it was buried in my 11-page tax reporting statement under an itemized list of dividends.  

For Fidelity accounts it would be a matter of summing up all the individual foreign income listings, which brings us around full circle to the original question...  is digging out the data and making these foreign source income calculations the appropriate solution for this Intuit Turbotax software error?  For those of us under the $600, it looks like this would be a big waste of time, the worksheet does not appear to do anything with that input value.  So, in effect Intuit TurboTax is requiring us to do additional unnecessary tax calculations to input a value into a tax worksheet that does nothing with it.  Thanks, Intuit TurboTax.  Or if this value is needed and the TurboTax software simply fails to properly use it, then everyone that was advised to simply input a zero is now hosed.  It would be nice if Intuit would show some consideration to those of us that bought their software by addressing their TurboTax software glitch.
pl2828

For vanguard, I was given an document called Foreign Tax Paid, in there it list the following foreign tax, foreign income and QDI eligible foreign income.  The amount needed for box  6d, I used the amount labeled foreign income on my document.

The 1099-DIV and 1099-INT report the tax on foreign income but not the foreign income itself it is based on. Generally the brokerages will have a page later in the statement (same file as the 1099) which reports the total income from international sources. This was the case for Robinhood, Wealthfront and Fidelity. The instructions certainly don't make it obvious but after much stress managed to find the figures in the document containing the 1099.

If you're lucky enough to find a way to contact TurboTax the advise may not be at all accurate. I was told by TurboTax not to trust what they told me because the cost of the SW was not enough for them to provide trust worthy advice... It was a chat conversation and I have the transcript.

reh_atx

Just digging through this for TY2022 with Schwab.

The Foreign Tax Paid amount is on box/row 7 of the 1099-DIV.

The Dividends Amount is on a Supplemental Information page (17 for me) subtitled Foreign Tax Paid and Income Summary, which shows the Foreign Tax Paid amount and the Dividends Amount, which then (for me) makes the credit the full Foreign Tax Paid amount. 

All of this came from international funds, so I don't believe the rationale for entering 0 for funds applies.  Now I have to also amend my TY2021 return to claim that.

It would be nice if all the brokerages and TT used the same terminology.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies