Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are we able to claim Covid-19 as a Natural Disaster if we weren't personally affected by it. FEMA list it as a disaster for my State, but I didn't suffer a loss and my income didn't change.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Are we able to claim Covid-19 as a Natural Disaster if we weren't personally affected by it. FEMA list it as a disaster for my State, but I didn't suffer a loss and my income didn't change.

COVID-19 is not a declared natural disaster......so it makes no difference whether you were affected or not.

Natural disasters (so far), have only included destruction due to  hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, derechos, wildfires, etc.....get the idea?  Things that actually destroy property.

I wouldn't rule it out for some time in the future, but so far, any national and state "help" for COVID-19 problems have been handled by specific legislation, and not by a disaster declaration.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

COVID is listed in incidents that qualify for a tax break. It's been declared a Mayor Disaster by FEMA listed right next to Severe Storms and Tornadoes. For my state it was declared a Major Disaster April 2, 2020.

Not sure what to say about that

.....there are certain sections in the software where I've seen it specifically lists COVID-19 if some tax break is allowed to be applied...like for avoiding the penalty for early withdrawal of retirement funds to deal with loss of income because COVID eliminated their job, or put them in the hospital.  But that is a specific interview question as a part of a 1099-R entry.   I saw one where it had you check a box if you were affected by (something like) "Natural Disaster or COVID-19" ...... so it specifically listed COVID 19 if it was appropriate.

So I guess it may depend on exactly where the natural disaster question is asked.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-relief-in-disaster-situations

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
pychktty

Unfortunately it says it had to be DECLARED before February 19, 2020. I assume there will be something next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies