chavez87109

Are my medical insurance premiums considered qualified medical expenses? I purchased insurance through the exchange and paid it with my hsa account, is that a problem?

Bsch4477

You can’t deduct medical expenses paid with funds from your HSA account since you got a deduction when you contributed that money to your HSA. 

AmeliesUncle

No, generally health insurance is NOT a qualified expense for HSA distributions.  But there are a few exceptions:

Insurance premiums.

You can’t treat insurance premiums as qualified medical expenses unless the premiums are for any of the following.

1. Long-term care insurance.

2. Health care continuation coverage (such as coverage under COBRA).

3. Health care coverage while receiving unemployment compensation under federal or state law.

4. Medicare and other health care coverage if you were 65 or older (other than premiums for a Medicare supplemental policy, such as Medigap).

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p969#en_US_2019_publink[phone number removed]