Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I eligible to declare pre-school/day care expenses at a local church as a Child Care Credit?

We have had our children in a local church/day care for several years, even before starting our home business.  However, now that our business is growing, my wife is using that time to conduct business while the kids are at half day care at the church.  We haven't declared for this credit in years past because it was as much about social time for the kids as anything, but now that time is valuable for our business.  Is this a credit we can claim?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
HelenaC

Am I eligible to declare pre-school/day care expenses at a local church as a Child Care Credit?

Yes. Nursery school, preschool, and similar pre-kindergarten programs are considered child care by the IRS. Summer day camps also count as child care. 

Expenses for overnight summer camps, kindergarten, and first grade (or higher) don't qualify for the Child and Dependent Care credit. However, expenses for before- and/or after-school care of a child in kindergarten or higher grade can be considered child care.  

To enter, click How do I get to the Child and Dependent Care Credit in TurboTax?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies