Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nvaughan

My daughter turns 13 on August 17, 2017 and goes to daycare. Am I able to claim dependent care for at least Jan- Aug? Or is she ineligible for the entirety of the year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My daughter turns 13 on August 17, 2017 and goes to daycare. Am I able to claim dependent care for at least Jan- Aug? Or is she ineligible for the entirety of the year?

According to IRS Pub 503 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p503.pdf:

Person qualifying for part of year. You determine a person's qualifying status each day. For example, if the person for whom you pay child and dependent care expenses no longer qualifies on September 16, count only those expenses through September 15.

So, in your case, you should be able to claim eligible dependent care costs through Aug 16. On Aug 17 and thereafter, no go.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

According to IRS Pub 503 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p503.pdf:

Person qualifying for part of year. You determine a person's qualifying status each day. For example, if the person for whom you pay child and dependent care expenses no longer qualifies on September 16, count only those expenses through September 15.

So, in your case, you should be able to claim eligible dependent care costs through Aug 16. On Aug 17 and thereafter, no go.

Hope that helps.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies