turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tpottgen

8824 tax help, how to determine "AMT adjusted basis of like-kind property you gave up"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

8824 tax help, how to determine "AMT adjusted basis of like-kind property you gave up"

The AMT basis is generally the same amount as regular basis, unless you are subject to AMT tax.  The cost basis of a house includes your cost, value of improvements, sales expenses, etc. 

A business vehicle's cost basis would be your cost, less depreciation taken. 

Here's more info:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6658068.

Edited 4/9/18 6:53 PM

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
maggiebn
Returning Member

How would the AMT adjusted basis be differ if you are subjected to AMT tax?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Adjusted basis would be the same for AMT as well as regular basis. 

maggiebn
Returning Member

Base on the original reply, it says that it will be the same unless you are subjected to AMT tax.  So I’m still not clear. Thank you 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Generally if your issue is involving like-kind property between two personal residences, the basis is the same for both properties. If involving rental property, the depreciation may be adjusted differently between AMT and regular tax purposes. For AMT purposes, you generally must depreciate (deduct) business assets over a longer period of time than you can for regular tax purposes. This creates a difference between regular tax depreciation and AMT depreciation.

Can anyone explain this further?

-What is the AMT tax? 

-How do I know if I am eligible or if it applies to me? 

-How do I adjust the "AMT Adjusted basis of like-kind property you gave up" if I am in fact subject to this AMT tax 

Review your PDF copy of the prior year return ... you should have 2 depreciation worksheets ... one for reg depreciation and the other for AMT purposes.  The info you need is right on those forms ... no need to dig further. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies