turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

billg114

17 year old, round 2 stimulus payment

I claimed all three children on my 2019 tax return and received the first round stimulus check of $3900. My oldest is now 17, had some 1099 income for summer employment, and will owe a few hundred dollars. On his tax return, if he claims himself and reports $500 received from round 1, he will get $1,300 as a refundable tax credit resulting in a refund ($1800 less $500 received). But this means not claiming him as a dependent on my family tax return, which increases my tax liability slightly but the net is still positive overall. My income for 2020 would not qualify for any round 2 stimulus payment, so it seems the best route is to have my son file his own return, claim himself, and get the additional refund funds. Any downside to this strategy? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

It is not your son's choice to say he cannot be claimed.   He CAN be claimed.   The rule is that if someone CAN be claimed as a dependent then he must say on his own tax return that he can be claimed as a dependent,

A 17 year old is still your qualifying child.  One downside to your idea of having him claim claim himself is that you would be encouraging a child to commit tax fraud.

(Edited)    I am sure it is not your intention to have your child file incorrectly.   You were just exploring the options, but having your 17 year claim himself is really not an option that you would want for him, despite the short term monetary advantage.

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

•They are related to you.

•They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

•They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

•They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

•They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

•They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

•They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

•They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

•They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

They lived with you the entire year.

•They made less than $4300  (not counting Social Security)

•You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Does a dependent have to live with me?

What does "financially support another person" mean?

Can I claim a newborn baby?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
billg114

Wow! Thank you for that answer. I did not look at it from the perspective of the child's return and whether he "can" be claimed, i.e., it's possible to do so. I went back into the return and checked the box "someone else CAN claim" him, and then it gave me two choices, either "someone WILL" and someone "WILL NOT" claim him. Under either option he cannot get the round 2 stimulus. 

Thank you again!

@billg114 wrote:

Wow! Thank you for that answer. I did not look at it from the perspective of the child's return and whether he "can" be claimed, i.e., it's possible to do so. I went back into the return and checked the box "someone else CAN claim" him, and then it gave me two choices, either "someone WILL" and someone "WILL NOT" claim him. Under either option he cannot get the round 2 stimulus. 

That is correct.  The only reason for that additional question  is if he CAN be claimed but is NOT actually claimed then the child can possibly claim certain educational credits that normally only the taxpayer that claims him could claim - but still  cannot claim himself.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies