Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1040-SR line 10b

I am using Turbo Tax premier. I have elected to itemize my deductions yet TT insists on adding a $300 adjustment on line 10b. The form clearly states that this can only be used if you take the standard deduction.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1040-SR line 10b

@DawnC  So I revisited this and you were on the right track. After Continuing with Itemized Deductions selected a screen titled Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act comes up. It tells about the $300 charitable deduction when using the standard deduction. The bug is that this screen should never have been presented. On this screen is a line: Cash Charitable Contributions made in 2020. The amount from Schedule A line 14 is already filled in. If you set this to 0 then the 1040-SR line 10b also becomes 0 and the Schedule A line 14 remains unchanged. So a valid work around. But be careful, if you go back through this sequence again the 0 will have been replaced again by the Schedule A value.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

1040-SR line 10b

Doublecheck your Form 1040 to make sure that your itemized deductions are showing and not the standard. 

To view your 1040 form, follow these steps: 

1. Sign in at TurboTax.com and select the blue Take Me to My Return button, if you haven't already done so.
  2. On the welcome back screen, select Tax Tools from the menu on the left side of your screen (click or tap the 3 lines in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).
  3. Select Tools, and then select View Tax Summary
  4. Preview my 1040 under Tax Home (sidebar)
  5. Click Back near the top of your screen to exit the preview screen.

1040-SR line 10b

The Summary and line 12 of 1040-SR both show the itemized deduction total.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

1040-SR line 10b

Try this, 

1. With your tax return open, select Federal from the navigation menu on the left (if you're doing this on a mobile device, you'll probably need to scroll down).
  2. Now select Deductions & Credits near the top of your screen.
  3. Scroll Down to the very bottom and click on Wrap Up Tax Breaks
  4. On that screen, pictured below, select Change my deduction. You'll get a pop-up showing how much each deduction is worth.
  5. Make sure that Itemized deductions are selected there, then continue through those screens.  It should not ask about the $300 deduction found on line 10b.
  6. Once you get through the section, check the Form 1040 again and see if it is gone.  If not, please comment back - thank you!
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1040-SR line 10b

I clicked through all that again. I wasn't asked about the deduction but it still shows up on line 10b which also puts it on line 10c.

1040-SR line 10b

This is a know bug and has been reported.  Go ahead and clear the amount entered.

Go back to the Deductions & Credit section for charitable donations and enter the cash contribution in that section.  That should correct the problem.

To enter charitable donations -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Charitable Donations
  • On Donations to Charity in 2020, click on the start or update button

Or enter charitable donation in the Search box located in the upper right of the online program screen. Click on Jump to charitable donation

1040-SR line 10b

@DawnC  So I revisited this and you were on the right track. After Continuing with Itemized Deductions selected a screen titled Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act comes up. It tells about the $300 charitable deduction when using the standard deduction. The bug is that this screen should never have been presented. On this screen is a line: Cash Charitable Contributions made in 2020. The amount from Schedule A line 14 is already filled in. If you set this to 0 then the 1040-SR line 10b also becomes 0 and the Schedule A line 14 remains unchanged. So a valid work around. But be careful, if you go back through this sequence again the 0 will have been replaced again by the Schedule A value.

1040-SR line 10b

I have followed all of the steps here multiple times and line 10b wont reduce to zero. I am itemizing deductions. 

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered. 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

1040-SR line 10b

You may have elected to Itemize your deductions but TurboTax will change that status to Standard Deduction if you do not have enough deductions to itemize.  Review the return to ensure that you have not been reverted to Standard Deduction.

Beginning in 2020, you can deduct up to $300 of qualified charitable cash contributions as an adjustment to adjusted gross income without itemizing your deductionsItemize deductions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1040-SR line 10b

My return didn't revert and it is absolutely unacceptable that TT would revert to standard deduction without asking. My state doesn't allow itemized deductions unless you itemize on the federal return. In my case the state benefit more than compensated for the larger federal tax due to itemizing. I don't like having to audit my TT prepared forms which is the only way I caught this error.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies