Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1040/1040SR Wks: Charitable contributions: Charitable contributions must be entered. Charitable contributions I keep entering 0 but it’s saying I need to fill it out

Is this still being worked on for the Desktop version? I'm on a Mac and running into the same issue. Because of all the recent tax changes and TurboTax working to incorporate them into the software, will TurboTax announce once its software has been updated? I don't want to file until I can recheck it with the tax changes. I know it must be difficult to incorporate last minute changes; I appreciate TurboTax's expertise in getting the software up to date. thank you

1040/1040SR Wks: Charitable contributions: Charitable contributions must be entered. Charitable contributions I keep entering 0 but it’s saying I need to fill it out

Yes, TurboTax is working with the IRS regarding software updates for the new changes.  The IRS is reviewing implementation plans for the newly enacted American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. Additional information about a new round of economic impact payments will be forthcoming.

The IRS strongly urges taxpayers not to file amended returns related to the new legislative provisions or take other unnecessary steps at this time. The IRS will provide taxpayers with additional guidance on those provisions that could affect their 2020 tax return.

TurboTax is developing the software required to process all of the new conditions.

Here is a TurboTax article about the American Rescue Plan.

@Kori1

aawTAX2020
Returning Member

Hello. I need assistance to clear this error, "1040/1040SR Wks: Charitable contributions: Charitable contributions must be entered."

I am using the desktop version of TurboTax. I my status is Married but Filing Separately. Although TurboTax recommended that I itemize, I have to use the standard deduction because my spouse did. I have tried some of the suggested steps in the conversation string, but I am not seeing any reference to the CARES Act deduction. I cannot clear the cache since this is not the online version. I have tried quitting and restarting the application, but it did not resolve anything. I am not seeing Step-By-Step input at the top right side of my screen. Please provide the steps to clear this error since TurboTax is blocking me from filing my return. Thanks.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Since you are filing MFS, your $300 standard deduction contribution is limited to $150.00.  Please enter the $150 amount and that should clear the error.

There is an issue with the contributions deduction and TurboTax is working to fix it.  We do not have an estimated date of correction, at this time.  I suggest you check back often to see if the correction has been made.

There is a problem with the Contributions section of the Itemized deductions and also the above the line $300.00 deduction.  Because of the many changes due to the CARES Act, IRS is still developing the forms and publications on this issue.  Last update was January 13th where everything is still in draft.  Once IRS finalizes the forms, we will be able to update TurboTax to accurately reflect your Contributions deduction.

Here are some of the changes due to the CARES ACT

The new legislation allows tax deductions on two types of charitable gifts. First, it allows up to $300 given to a qualified charity to be claimed as an above-the-line deduction. After the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, which went into effect in 2018, increased the standard deduction, many taxpayers had less incentive to donate to charities. Instead, they took the standard deduction and stopped itemizing.

For taxpayers who will itemize deductions, the CARES Act effectively suspends the limit on deductions for cash contributions to public charities for 2020.  “That allows individuals to completely wipe out their AGI, and their tax liability, with a charitable contribution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm a macOS user of TurboTax Deluxe, married-filing-separately. I'm stuck in this same "1040/1040sr wks: charitable contributions: charitable contributions has an unacceptable value" loop. I've tried all the suggestions I've seen posted to no avail.

From the intuit posts it looks like there is a bug. I understand that fixing bugs in software can be difficult and having to coordinate efforts with the IRS must add its' own challenges. What is the best way to keep informed about a fix?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Yes. There is an issue with the contributions deduction and TurboTax is working to fix it.  We do not have an estimated date of correction, at this time.  I suggest you check back often to see if the correction has been made.

There is a problem with the Contributions section of the Itemized deductions and also the above the line $300.00 deduction.  Because of the many changes due to the CARES Act, IRS is still developing the forms and publications on this issue.  Last update was January 13th where everything is still in draft.  Once IRS finalizes the forms, we will be able to update TurboTax to accurately reflect your Contributions deduction.

Here are some of the changes due to the CARES ACT

The new legislation allows tax deductions on two types of charitable gifts. First, it allows up to $300 given to a qualified charity to be claimed as an above-the-line deduction. After the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, which went into effect in 2018, increased the standard deduction, many taxpayers had less incentive to donate to charities. Instead, they took the standard deduction and stopped itemizing.

For taxpayers who will itemize deductions, the CARES Act effectively suspends the limit on deductions for cash contributions to public charities for 2020.  “That allows individuals to completely wipe out their AGI, and their tax liability, with a charitable contribution.

desau13

So .. do we just wait, crossing our fingers that there's going to be a fix?  Would like to file my taxes but this is preventing me.  Seems pretty naive to think this will be fixed in time.  Is there no workaround?  I could file these just fine before I entered my charitable contributions.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Are you wanting to file using the standard deduction and the Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act or itemizing deductions on Schedule A?  Or do you not yet know?

If you are in TurboTax Online, the screen Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act appears as the end of Deductions & Credits. First you have to pass the screen Based on what you told us, the standard deduction is best for you at the end of Deductions & Credits.

But you have to qualify for the standard deduction before the screen appears.  So you may want to change the value of one or more itemized deductions to $1 so that you qualify for the standard deduction.

Follow these steps: 

• At the top of the screen, click on Deductions & Credits.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Wrap up tax breaks.
  • Continue through several screens.
  • At the screen Based on what you told us, the standard deduction is best for you, click Continue.
  • At the screen Any Charitable Cash Contributions? delete the dollar amount.
  • Continue through Federal Review to make sure that things look correct.
  • Then restore your itemized deductions dollar amounts.
desau

No - I’m using desktop version, and I’m itemizing.

See my workaround from March 6.  I'm no tax expert, and your mileage may vary, but it cleared being stuck in an enless loop for me.

Talking about this problem with a coworker and reviewing @carlinjm's suggestion lead me to going into the Forms view and checking out line 10b of "Form 1040 or 1040-SR Worksheet." Looking up info about the $300 (or $150 depending on filing status) that is mentioned I found you can (must?) apparently enter one of the two values. Once I did so I was able to get out of the "invalid entry" loop. Apparently TuboTax doesn't have the information it needs to enter this value for you. I did a search on "u.s. federal income tax charitable contributions" and found several hits with relevant information.

beth6920

The second work around was spot on--I had a total of $100.00 entered in for charitable contributions in 2020 and needed to update that to $300.00 to match the amount required in 10B. Your work around was spot on and I appreciate you taking the time to add the level of detail provided--Gold star to you Renee!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies