Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ptiberio

I have a primary home in Fl but earn my living in IL. How do I calculate this correctly for my Il. return? I live about 50% of my nights in FL and 50% in IL?

I am completing my IL state tax now but not sure how to treat it when I work in IL and my company is in IL but I live as many days in FLorida but do not earn any income in FL. I am a registered voter in FL, my car is registered in FL but I own a home in both states. My wife is in FL full-time and also works in FLorida. I assume all my income earned is taxed in IL, what about my dividends, interest earned, etc?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a primary home in Fl but earn my living in IL. How do I calculate this correctly for my Il. return? I live about 50% of my nights in FL and 50% in IL?

You are a Florida resident.  You must file an Illinois tax return as a nonresident to report your wages.  A nonresident is only taxed on state source income- which is wages, rental income etc.

From IL DOR :

You are an Illinois resident if you were domiciled in Illinois for the entire year. Your domicile is the place where you reside and the place where you intend to return after temporary absences. Temporary absences may include duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, residence in a foreign country, out-of-state residence as a student, or out-of-state residence during the summer or winter. If you are absent from Illinois for one year or more, we will presume you are a nonresident of Illinois.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You are a Florida resident.  You must file an Illinois tax return as a nonresident to report your wages.  A nonresident is only taxed on state source income- which is wages, rental income etc.

From IL DOR :

You are an Illinois resident if you were domiciled in Illinois for the entire year. Your domicile is the place where you reside and the place where you intend to return after temporary absences. Temporary absences may include duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, residence in a foreign country, out-of-state residence as a student, or out-of-state residence during the summer or winter. If you are absent from Illinois for one year or more, we will presume you are a nonresident of Illinois.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies