turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I work in VA. and live in WV. do I ask for a requested refund amount that is in box 17 (state tax on W2)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I work in VA. and live in WV. do I ask for a requested refund amount that is in box 17 (state tax on W2)?

Yes. 

Virginia and West Virginia have state tax reciprocity, so you should file a VA Non-Resident tax return to receive a refund of the taxes paid to that state.

As a West Virginia resident, you do owe state tax on your income earned in the other state. You will need to complete your VA Non-Resident tax return before you complete your WV Resident tax return to ensure you receive credit for the taxes paid to the other state.

For future tax years, you should complete this form, WV/IT-104 R, so the proper state taxes are withheld. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes. 

Virginia and West Virginia have state tax reciprocity, so you should file a VA Non-Resident tax return to receive a refund of the taxes paid to that state.

As a West Virginia resident, you do owe state tax on your income earned in the other state. You will need to complete your VA Non-Resident tax return before you complete your WV Resident tax return to ensure you receive credit for the taxes paid to the other state.

For future tax years, you should complete this form, WV/IT-104 R, so the proper state taxes are withheld. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies