Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i work in Massachusetts and live in Rhode Island do i have to file my taxes in rhode island as well?

everything from my mass taxes are done but when i go to hit my rhode island form that says it isn't finished... nothing pops up for me to do... so I'm super confused
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

If i work in Massachusetts and live in Rhode Island do i have to file my taxes in rhode island as well?

Yes.  Because you live in Rhode Island, you must file a resident tax return.  According to the instructions for filing RI-1010:  "Every resident individual of Rhode Island who is required to file a federal income tax return must file a Rhode Island individual income tax return (RI-1040)."

You also have to prepare a Massachusetts Non-Resident return, because you received MA-source income, but you may get credit on your Rhode Island return for taxes paid to another state.

Prepare the MA (nonresident) return first and then the pertinent information will flow to the RI return.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What if I efiled my RI return first before filing my mass state return and it was accepted. How do I correct this?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies