Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will turbotax desktop let me file two returns for the same state (NJ)

This a follow up to the following post:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/discussion/ny-and-nj-source-income-and-moved-from-ny-t...

Due to a mid year move from NY to NJ, I've concluded I need to file both a non-resident NJ return (for NJ source rental income earned while I was a NY resident) and a NJ part-year resident return (for all income earned while I was an NJ resident).   This is in addition to the NY part-year resident return I need to file for all income earned before the move.

How do I prepare/file two separate NJ returns in Turbotax desktop, and how do I ensure that it is calculating all credits for properly for taxes paid to the other state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

If you are using CD/Download version you can prepare any number of tax returns, with whatever resident non-resident or part-resident status you can figure out. Good luck.

NJ requires that you report all your income on your tax return.

If you file two tax returns with partial income, you will just have two incorrect tax returns for NJ to audit.

File a part-year resident return; A part year resident return provides for reporting income during period of NJ residency and during period of Non-Residency

Thanks, but this advice differs from NJ's own tax guidance for part-year residents who had NJ source income while a non-resident.  See the 4th paragraph here which makes clear that separate non-resident and resident returns would be required:  https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit26.shtml

Does turbotax know how to handle this situation?

I stand corrected.

to do this in turbotax you have to save your .tax2019 file under two names.

then one will be adjusted to have the part-resident return attached and the other to have  the non-resident return attached.

Thanks for the reply.  So since I will have two separate files (one with federal + NY part-year resident + NJ resident and one with federal + NJ non-resident), how do I ensure that the appropriate amounts are being carried over between the 3 state returns? 

If I need to do manual overrides to the forms themselves, what order should I prepare the returns in and what #s should I be carrying over from one to the other?

I'm thinking the following:

- Do NJ non-resident first (for NJ rental income earned while NY resident).  I'll need this for the NY resident return since NY should give me a credit for the amount of taxes owed to NJ for this income while I was a NY resident.  Where do I input this on my NY return?

- Then do NY part-year resident + NJ part-year resident returns using Turbotax's normal process

@petetuit 

I suspect that the TTX Tax prep for NJ will do the proper NJ forms for your situation....all in one preparation.

But yeah, I'm unsure..

@rjs  Please check out the discussion above....You appear to have insight into NJ & NY tax forms... will the NJ software handle this person's situation all in one preparation?  NJ seems to have confusing directions about needing both a NJ1040 part year and an NJ1040NR.  OF course, maybe we're reading it wrong with maybe too few specifics in the NJ directions.

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit26.shtml

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@petetuit @SteamTrain  I have both the NJ and NY TurboTax software, and some experience with two-state filing, so I will try to work through the details of your scenario and see how the various amounts flow between the two states. It will take a while. I'll try to get back to you by tonight. But there are a couple of things I can tell you right off the bat.

The New Jersey instructions are very clear that you have to file both a NJ part-year resident return and a NJ part-year nonresident return. The TurboTax software will prepare both NJ returns in one file. You do not have to mess around with multiple copies of your tax return.

Your W-2 should not have a NJ line at all. If box 17 (state tax) on the NJ line is blank or zero, just omit the NJ line entirely when you enter the W-2 in TurboTax. This is a common error by employers. I suspect that the NJ Division of Taxation is used to seeing it, so they probably won't give you any trouble about your tax return not matching your W-2. If they question it, you will just have to explain that you worked in New York all year, and none of it is New Jersey income. This also means that it doesn't matter whether your employer got the right date for your move.

Do not change the box 16 amount for NY, as Hal_Al suggested in the other thread. New York has an unusual rule that box 16 must be equal to box 1. (Hal_Al's alternative suggestion was to leave the NY line as-is and omit the NJ line, which is what you should do.)

None of your W-2 income is "attributable to NJ." There is no "NJ portion" of your W-2 income. It's all NY-source income. I'm not sure whether you will have to apportion it between the nonresident and resident periods for either state. I'll look into that later.

Please do not post any more separate questions about your two-state situation. It's already confusing enough with relevant information in two separate threads. If you have any more questions or additional information, continue adding replies to this thread. Do not post another new question about the same situation.

Thanks, this is a great response.  Good to know that turbotax will create both NJ filings for me automatically.

Also good to know I can ignore the NJ line for my W2 since I paid no taxes to NJ during the year and all my income was NY source.  (Note that even though my company is in NY, I do work from home in NJ many days of the year.  I'm not sure if this in any way changes the "NY source" of my income.)

This second thread was created based on the response in the first thread to create a new topic.  I will reply to this one going forward.  I look forward to your additional information.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@petetuit 

@SteamTrain - FYI

I created a test tax return based on the information you gave, and I tried several different ways of doing the state returns. I have to say that it's horrendously complicated and confusing, and I'm not certain that I got it all right. TurboTax will create the two New Jersey returns for you, but it's not automatic. You have to help it along. Information doesn't flow smoothly between the states. Here's what I've been able to figure out.

TurboTax creates the two New Jersey returns, resident and nonresident, at the same time. You don't do one and then the other. The interview questions can be confusing because they sometimes refer to "your New Jersey return" without making it clear which NJ return they're talking about. It appears that the handling of this scenario is not really fully developed.

I don't see any way to handle your situation by just going straight through one state and then straight through the other state. Each state gives you a credit for tax paid to the other state (on different income), so there is an interaction between the two states. No matter which state you do first, you are going to have to go back to the first state after you finish the second state. And you might even have to make a second pass through the second state.

You get a credit on your NJ resident return (NJ-1040) for part of the tax paid to NY on the NY W-2 income that you earned while a NJ resident. This credit will probably eliminate any tax on your NJ resident return. On your NJ nonresident return (NJ-1040NR) you will have a small amount of tax due on the NJ rental income that you earned while a NY resident. You will get a credit for that NJ tax on your NY part-year resident return.

It doesn't really matter which state you do first. The final results are the same. I suggest doing NJ first, then NY, simply because you can probably avoid having to go through NY a second time.

Note that investment income - interest, dividends, and capital gain - is attributed to the state that you lived in when you received the income. For example, a dividend that you received when you lived in New York is New York income. A dividend that you received when you lived in New Jersey is New Jersey income. When you do your federal return you just enter the total amounts for the year from your 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, and 1099-B forms. But at various points in the state interviews you will have to enter the amounts attributable to one state or the other. Read all the questions carefully.

The first time through NJ, when you get to the credit for taxes paid to another state, skip the credit. It might then tell you that you may owe interest on an underpayment of estimated tax. That's because you don't yet have the credit for tax paid to NY. Click "Calculate" to skip the topic. When you finish the NJ return, switch to forms mode and write down the amounts on Form NJ-1040NR lines 41 and 55. (They will probably be the same.)

Now go back to Step-by-Step mode and do the NY return. In the NY interview, on the screen that says "Take a look at New York credits and taxes," click Start for "Taxes Paid to Another State." After a few screens it will tell you that "TurboTax does not currently compute an amount of tax for New Jersey," and it will give you a box to enter the amount of New Jersey tax. Enter the tax from Form NJ-1040NR line 41. The next screen says "Enter New Jersey Information." It has three boxes. You will leave the first two boxes empty because you had no NJ tax withheld and made no NJ estimated tax payments, and you get no refund on either NJ return. In the third box, "Balance Due to New Jersey," enter the amount you owe on Form NJ-1040NR line 55. Ignore the balance due on Form NJ-1040. When you finish the NY return, switch to forms mode again and write down the New York adjusted gross income from New York Form IT-203 line 31 in the New York State amount column (the second column), and the total New York State taxes from Form IT-203 line 50.

Now go back and edit the NJ return. Click the Update button for Taxes and Credits. Go through the Property Tax Deduction or Credit again to get back to Credit for Taxes Paid to Another State. This time click Work on Credit. When you get to the screen that asks for "Double-taxed income while a resident of New Jersey," enter the New York adjusted gross income from Form IT-203 line 31 in the New York State amount column (the second column). For "Tax paid to New York," enter the total New York State taxes from Form IT-203 line 50.

At this point the tax on Form NJ-1040 line 43 should be zero. If it's not, you will have to go back to the New York credit for tax paid to another state and add the amount on NJ-1040 line 43 to the amount of NJ tax that you entered.

I think this will give you correct state tax returns for New York part-year resident, New Jersey part-year nonresident, and New Jersey part-year resident.

(A note to anyone else reading this in the future: This discussion is very specific to the particular facts presented in the question, and to the specific states and types of income. It might not apply to any other situation.)

Thank you for this detailed walkthrough.  I went through it all and encountered the following two issues:

1)  At the following step:  "Now go back and edit the NJ return. Click the Update button for Taxes and Credits. Go through the Property Tax Deduction or Credit again to get back to Credit for Taxes Paid to Another State. This time click Work on Credit. When you get to the screen that asks for "Double-taxed income while a resident of New Jersey," enter the New York adjusted gross income from Form IT-203 line 31 in the New York State amount column (the second column). For "Tax paid to New York," enter the total New York State taxes from Form IT-203 line 50."

The amount from IT-203 line 31 is my NY AGI, but the interview question is looking for the double-taxed income *while a resident of NJ*.  So I believe the amount I need there is not what is in IT-203 line 31, but rather the full year W2 wage income, prorated for the % of the year I lived in NJ.  That is the only double taxed income for NJ purposes.  Also the NJ-COJ form to calculate the NJ credit states that the amount you enter for this box cannot exceed your NJ income from the NJ-1040 line 29.

2)  The mortgage interest deduction is turning into a real challenge due to the move.  I had a house/mortgage in NY from 1/1/19-10/4/19, and a house/mortgage in NJ from 8/9/19-12/31/19.  The actual date of the move was 9/27/19, so all my income proration is based on that date.  The NY house had a mortgage balance of ~$350k, and the new NJ mortgage has a balance of $1,120,000 (above the 750k limit).

First question - when I calculate the federal mortgage interest deduction, can I take the deduction on both mortgages during the overlapping period?  I owned both houses but obviously only lived in one at a time.

Second question - How does the part-year calculation work for the NY state returns?  Do I prorate for the period of time I lived in that state?   For NY that means I would have 1 mortgage through 8/9/19 and then two mortgages from 8/9/19 - 9/27/19 when I physically moved.  And then wouldn't the second mortgage from 8/9-9/27 be limited to NY's $1mm mortgage principal limit (since they didn't follow the federal decrease to $750k)? 

I see that NJ doesn't have mortgage interest deductions so I guess it is moot for that return.

Thank you for this detailed walkthrough.  I went through it all and encountered the following two issues:

1)  At the following step:  "Now go back and edit the NJ return. Click the Update button for Taxes and Credits. Go through the Property Tax Deduction or Credit again to get back to Credit for Taxes Paid to Another State. This time click Work on Credit. When you get to the screen that asks for "Double-taxed income while a resident of New Jersey," enter the New York adjusted gross income from Form IT-203 line 31 in the New York State amount column (the second column). For "Tax paid to New York," enter the total New York State taxes from Form IT-203 line 50."

The amount from IT-203 line 31 is my NY AGI, but the interview question is looking for the double-taxed income *while a resident of NJ*.  So I believe the amount I need there is not what is in IT-203 line 31, but rather the full year W2 wage income, prorated for the % of the year I lived in NJ.  That is the only double taxed income for NJ purposes.  Also the NJ-COJ form to calculate the NJ credit states that the amount you enter for this box cannot exceed your NJ income from the NJ-1040 line 29.

2)  The mortgage interest deduction is turning into a real challenge due to the move.  I had a house/mortgage in NY from 1/1/19-10/4/19, and a house/mortgage in NJ from 8/9/19-12/31/19.  The actual date of the move was 9/27/19, so all my income proration is based on that date.  The NY house had a mortgage principal balance of ~$350k until it was paid off on 10/4, and the new NJ mortgage has a principal balance of $1,120,000 (above both the new federal 750k deduction limit and NY's 1mm limit).

First question - when I calculate the federal mortgage interest deduction, can I take the deduction on both mortgages during the overlapping period?  I owned both houses but obviously only lived in one at a time.

Second question - How does the part-year calculation work for the NY state returns?  Do I prorate for the period of time I lived in that state?   For NY that means I would have 1 mortgage through 8/9/19 and then two mortgages from 8/9/19 - 9/27/19 when I physically moved.  And then wouldn't the second mortgage from 8/9-9/27 be limited to NY's $1mm mortgage principal limit?

I see that NJ doesn't have mortgage interest deductions so I guess it is moot for that return.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@petetuit wrote:

1)  . . . The amount from IT-203 line 31 is my NY AGI, but the interview question is looking for the double-taxed income *while a resident of NJ*.  So I believe the amount I need there is not what is in IT-203 line 31, but rather the full year W2 wage income, prorated for the % of the year I lived in NJ.

You are correct. You should enter only the amount of New York wages that you earned while you were a resident of New Jersey. Sorry.

Making this change will result in a small amount of tax due on your New Jersey part-year resident return. The credit should essentially eliminate any New Jersey tax on your New York wages, but you have to pay New Jersey tax on the investment income and rental income for the period that you were a New Jersey resident.

@petetuit wrote:

2)  The mortgage interest deduction is turning into a real challenge due to the move.

Yes. On your federal tax return you are allowed to deduct mortgage interest on two homes - your main home and a second home. So there is no problem deducting the mortgage interest on both homes for the period that you owned both.

@petetuit wrote:

Second question - How does the part-year calculation work for the NY state returns?  Do I prorate for the period of time I lived in that state?

Apparently not. I have no experience with this, but I don't see anything in the New York instructions or forms about prorating deductions. Form IT-203 line 33 is the full-year New York itemized deductions (or standard deduction). On line 34 that gets subtracted from the full-year federal AGI that is carried from line 31 in the federal column. The tax is then initially calculated on the full-year amounts. Apparently the multiplication on line 46 by the income percentage effectively takes care of prorating everything.

@petetuit wrote:

And then wouldn't the second mortgage from 8/9-9/27 be limited to NY's $1mm mortgage principal limit?

I'm not familiar with the mortgage interest limitations at all. But the New York instructions refer you to the 2017 federal Schedule A instructions and the 2017 IRS Publication 936, which clearly say that the $1 million limit applies to the total of the mortgages on both homes.

2017 federal Schedule A instructions

2017 IRS Publication 936
(See "Limits on Home Mortgage Interest Deduction" on page 9)

Maybe someone else can provide more detail on this. @SteamTrain  Can you add anything regarding the mortgage deduction?

Hi Following up to see if any further info on the part-year, $1mm principal limit on mortgage deduction calculation for NY state?

thanks 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies