Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pdd0607

Will I need to pay state filing fees for all three states if I reside in WI but worked part of the time in IA and MN?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Will I need to pay state filing fees for all three states if I reside in WI but worked part of the time in IA and MN?

Yes, Wisconsin (WI) does not have a reciprocal agreement with Iowa (IA) or Minnesota (MN).  Prepare the nonresident state returns first, then TurboTax will carry the income taxed and taxes paid to the other states to your resident state.

Watch in the nonresident state returns to be sure they are taxing only the income earned in that state and write down the income and tax for both IA and MN so you have it if you need it in your resident state return.  Usually, when filed electronically you don't really have to mail the nonresident state returns with your resident state.

The credit for taxes paid to another state on the same income is used on your resident state because they do not want you to pay taxes twice on the same income.  As the resident state all worldwide income must be included.

The credit for tax paid to another state on the same income will be the lesser of:

1. the tax liability actually charged by the nonresident state, OR
  2. the tax liability that would have been charged by your resident state
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies