turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

sandnan

Why is my return still pending? (updated 3-16-21)

I have now been notified that my New York state return was rejected.  Turbo Tax says it will help me and that if I open the return I will see what the problem is.  I did  and saw nothing.  What am I supposed to do?

@sandnan I’m not sure if you are using the online TurboTax system for your return, OR if you have the program loaded on your PC (via CD or downloaded).  I’m told for some things, there could be a difference.

I have the CD/download version software loaded on my PC.

When I initially logged into software and opened my return, I believe it took me to screen to check status of returns where it checked status and the came back with my CA state tax rejected, and had a box to mouse click to repair.  It then showed a text instruction on screen indicating this was a software issue and there could be additional deductions in the “I believe added Deductions Section”.  It instructed me to go to Federal Tax to check this, and I went thru that section not adding anything different.  Program then took me to review Federal return which was fine, then did CA state return check, which was fine, then thru to efiling again.  Initially it seemed like it may refill all returns, but program realized Federal and my 2nd state were already filed/accepted and only went thru the CA to efile again.  Was easy enough as everything was still pre-filled and I simply checked and mouse clicked thru until sent again.

If you see the instruction in text, take a picture with your phone before heading to Federal to check whatever it wants checked.  I did not do this so had to trust what I read and was unable to double-check instruction.

Hard to remember everything, but I’m pretty certain this is how it played out for me.

If program is loaded on your PC, it may need to do a software update first, if not prompted - check program pull downs or such and I assume a SW Check can be initiated.

Not sure where you’re at in New York.  I was based out of Plattsburgh 1986 to 1994 before the base closed.  Loved the area.

Good luck, MAC

Paul888
Returning Member

Hi MAC61

Thank you for the info. I took a picture of the instruction on the monitor and updated my NY Tax Return. I just sent it and hope it'll accept by NYS.  Thanks again. 

alydarjk
Returning Member

My Federal return was filed and accepted.  My NY State return was filed at the same time and on 2/18 was rejected by NY State.  I received the same information that it was a Turbo Tax software issue.  I found no problems and resubmitted the NY return last night.  This is distressing and unlike my years' of experience with Turbo Tax.

@alydarjk.  After I received my state notice of rejection, it took me less than 5 minutes to mouse click thru and re-efile last night.  Then I received state acceptance sometime around 5:00 a.m this morning.

Unfortunately software (SW) glitches can occur.  Frustrating, and in my case was locked in PENDING over 5-1/2 days after Federal was accepted.

I’ve used TurboTax for many years, I’ve lost count.  However I can only recall 2(ea) SW glitches, and this one by far the longest and most frustrating.

Hard to give a great review this year, as I believe they should have notified customers stuck in PENDING that they had a SW issuing they were working on in the background.

HOWEVER, as frustrating as it was; the overall long term track record for TurboTax for me as a long time customer has been good.

With so many posts here, I trust you will be able to resubmit soon.

Cheers & good luck.  MAC

22428firwood
Returning Member

How do you get my W-2 form

22428firwood
Returning Member

My computer has filled out all of my tax forms but can't  file because Chrome isn't  installed. I have updated chrome and will not file. Why?

When I opened Turbotax after getting the message about my CA return being rejected, the software updated.  There was no guidance from TurboTax about how to fix the problem that caused the rejection.  So I went ahead and e-filed my CA return for a second time, without making any changes.  It was accepted in about 15 minutes.

I've been a satisfied customer for 20+ years, this is the first time I've encountered a SW glitch, so I don't want to ding TurboTax too hard, but their messaging needs more attention to provide clarity to the user.

I have had the same problem.  Got an email and it says:

CA_Itemized - We've identified a potential issue in your California return due to an error in our software. 

ETC.  

Once I opened it there is no help from Turbo Tax and it wants to walk me through again.  Don't want to keep refiling.  This is a HUGE let-down Turbo Tax!

I received a text and email. from TurboTax 

that NYS has Rejected my return because of a soft wear problem

how do i fix this ????

I filed my Federal and Alabama returns 28 Jan 2021 and both returns were pending until 10 Feb 2021.  Only the Federal return was accepted and as of today 19 Feb my State of Alabama return in still in Pending status.  WHY?  If TurboTax is the entity holding on to the file then please notify me and others with the similar problem ASAP!

My CA tax return was accepted this morning.

for those using the software (not online) be sure to do the software update and then resubmit for efile. 

Hi,

My return was filed on 1/30/2021 and as of yesterday the CA return was still pending.  I went onto the FTB website and filed my California return for free there.  It was accepted.  After I did that Turbo Tax came back and stated that my return was rejected and to re-file (I could see none of the errors on my state return that others did).  I refiled but of course it still says "Pending" on the Turbo Tax site because it will get rejected as I already filed on m own. I have no faith in Turbo Tax right now and for the added hassle and stress I have gone through, I am going to ask Turbo Tax to refund my fees for my state return.  I can't help but feel that both the stimulus snafu at the beginning of the year and now this are both seem to be related to software issues.  I am going to use another vendor next year because I no longer have any confidence in Turbo Tax to get things right. The first time. Also, their customer service is horrible, I've spent at least 2 hours on hold waiting for a ghost that never answered.  End of rant. 

Update: Re-filed my state return last night. Updated the software, went through the instructions. Submitted my return at around 7:30pm PST, it was accepted around 12:00am PST.

LSG1
Level 3

@TakNYTaxesI filed my taxes yesterday Feb 18th. I got an email last night from TurboTax (not from NYS) that my NY State return was rejected. Next to the reason why it was blank. When I went into the program, it said it was rejected and again, next to Problem: it was blank. I went back and changed a few things I thought may have flagged it, like the NYC retirement pension. There was a problem with that initially, and I had to click Federal pension to get the state exclusion. After saving, I re e-filed last night. Now it is pending.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies