jroland380

Why does the CA State 540 give me a standard deduction if I was claimed as a dependent on my Dad's taxes?

I was claimed as a dependent on my Dad's Federal and CA State tax returns.  I marked that I was a dependent on someone elses return but it still gave me the Standard Deduction of $4,236 on my CA State return.  Is this correct??  I checked both the Federal & State worksheets and they are both marked that someone else is claiming me.

JohnW15

This is most likely correct.  Your standard deduction as a dependent depends on what your earned income was – generally, this is income from wages or self-employment. 

Please see California Standard Deduction Worksheet for Dependents in California 540 Forms & Instructions for more information.

[Edited 03|09|2020 1:06 pm]

JohnW15

[Edited 03|09|2020 1:06 pm]