Solved: Why does the CA State 540 give me a standard deduction if I was claimed as a dependent on my Dad's taxes?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the CA State 540 give me a standard deduction if I was claimed as a dependent on my Dad's taxes?

I was claimed as a dependent on my Dad's Federal and CA State tax returns.  I marked that I was a dependent on someone elses return but it still gave me the Standard Deduction of $4,236 on my CA State return.  Is this correct??  I checked both the Federal & State worksheets and they are both marked that someone else is claiming me.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why does the CA State 540 give me a standard deduction if I was claimed as a dependent on my Dad's taxes?

This is most likely correct.  Your standard deduction as a dependent depends on what your earned income was – generally, this is income from wages or self-employment. 

Please see California Standard Deduction Worksheet for Dependents in California 540 Forms & Instructions for more information.

[Edited 03|09|2020 1:06 pm]

View solution in original post

1 Reply

This is most likely correct.  Your standard deduction as a dependent depends on what your earned income was – generally, this is income from wages or self-employment. 

Please see California Standard Deduction Worksheet for Dependents in California 540 Forms & Instructions for more information.

[Edited 03|09|2020 1:06 pm]

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings