Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do California return mailing instructions from turbotax contradict state website?

turbotax Form 540 instructions: Do not attach any Form(s) W2, Do not attach federal return 

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/file/ways-to-file/paper/index.html

• Attach a copy of your federal return (if not using form 540 2EZ)
  • Attach a copy of your W-2

It appears that turbotax has created a W2 for filing which may negate the need to include a copy of the original W2, but that's not obvious or stated. There's no explanation for the differing instructions between California state website and turbotax on including a copy of the federal return.

Also, turbotax collects an email address, but it's not placed on the 540 form where an email address is requested. Using form view I can type in the email address, but I don't know if the lack of automatic input means this field needs to be hand-entered, like a signature, rather than typed in.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Why do California return mailing instructions from turbotax contradict state website?

Send in a copy of the federal return per the CA FTB instuctions and thank you for identifying the disconnect.  

On the email address it does not matter if the address is typed or printed on the form.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Send in a copy of the federal return per the CA FTB instuctions and thank you for identifying the disconnect.  

On the email address it does not matter if the address is typed or printed on the form.    

yuc

I have the same issue for this year's California State Return (2023)

On my turbotax generated form 540, printed on the top is "DO NOT ATTACH FEDERAL RETURN"

This is causing me to lose confidence in e-filing my state return as I'm not sure that my federal return would be attached. 

If I have to mail my federal return to the CA FTB, then I might as well file my return by mail and save the $25 state e-filing fee.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Yes if you e-file your Federal return with TurboTax, the Federal return information needed by the state will be included with your California e-file. You don't have to mail the Federal return to CA FTB.

See this help article for additional information if you need to e-file your state separately after e-filing your Federal return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies