Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why did I receive an email from TurboTax stating I needed to do a Tennessee state return if there is no state income tax? I also am not even given the option to do it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Why did I receive an email from TurboTax stating I needed to do a Tennessee state return if there is no state income tax? I also am not even given the option to do it?

No one in the user forum knows about emails that were sent to you.  It may have been a marketing email that went out generically to remind users to prepare and file state returns.  Since you know that TN has no state income tax, you do not have a state return to prepare unless you worked or lived in some other state as well during 2022, so ignore the email.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you believe that you have received a suspicious email, please don't click 

on any links or attachments, and don't reply to the email.   

@wmk24 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It is from the same email that has sent me all correspondence in the past so I don’t believe it to be spam or suspicious in any way. It also links me directly to the TurboTax site when the hyperlink is clicked.

Just confused as to why the email is saying a TN state return is necessary, but there is not even an option to a TN state return on the TurboTax site or on any other tax software either? Could it just be a glitch or an email sent in error?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

So we can take a closer look at your specific situation, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible.  

I got the same email for Tennessee. It is not generic. It states:

"You are receiving this reminder because the information you provided on your federal return requires a state tax filing."

When dealing with tax issues, you must understand that we cannot simply ignore these things & rest at night.

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Tennessee does not impose a state income tax.

In prior years they did have the Tennessee "Hall Tax" on interest and dividend income (over $1,250 0r $2,500 if married filing jointly), but this has been repealed in 2021.

If you don't need to file a Tennessee state tax return, and TurboTax has generated one for you,  you can delete a state return in TurboTax Online, as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered in a free version).

Click here for how to delete your state return in TurboTax desktop.

Click here for how to delete your state tax return in TurboTax Online

If the turbotax program knows I live in TN, knows I opted out of doing a state return b/c TN is my only state, & it knows there isn't even an option to begin one for TN, *why* would turbotax send such an email? *Why* would turbotax tell me there's something in my federal return that requires a state return for TN (when there never has been even with the "HALL" tax). turbotax never did this in the past...

The issue here is with turbotax, not defunct state law & no, turbotax did not start a state return for me (neither does it charge for one until the client files one).

I left TaxAct many years ago b/c of their nonsense. I hate to think turbotax is going to lead me down the same road going forward.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Tennessee no longer requires a state income tax since the Hall Tax was repealed according to this source from the TN Dept of Revenue.

Ignore the email sent by Turbo Tax since it states in the source "Hall Income tax was repealed for tax periods that begin on January 1, 2021, or later. Please do not file a return for any tax year that begins on or after January 1, 2021". 

Since they said please, I would honor their requests.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies