Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

just4c

Where do I input the $35 2018 portland oregon arts tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

You can enter the 2018 Portland Oregon Arts tax in the Estimated Payments section.

axpayers that itemize deductions on their federal income tax return will generally be able to deduct their 2017 Arts Tax payment paid in 2018 on their 2018 Schedule A (as State and Local Income Taxes). Consult your tax advisor if you have questions.

To report the tax payment you made, please follow these steps:

1. Click on FederalDeductions & Credits. 
  2. In the Estimates and Other Taxes Paid section, click on the Start/Update box next to Estimated Tax Payments
  3. On the next screen, click the Start/Revisit box next to Local
  4. Enter your payment(s) on the next screen, How much did you pay in local estimated taxes?   In the drop-down list select Multiple Localities/Locality Not Listed and enter the amount paid in the box. 
The payment will be included in Schedule A with other state and local incomes taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

You can enter the 2018 Portland Oregon Arts tax in the Estimated Payments section.

axpayers that itemize deductions on their federal income tax return will generally be able to deduct their 2017 Arts Tax payment paid in 2018 on their 2018 Schedule A (as State and Local Income Taxes). Consult your tax advisor if you have questions.

To report the tax payment you made, please follow these steps:

1. Click on FederalDeductions & Credits. 
  2. In the Estimates and Other Taxes Paid section, click on the Start/Update box next to Estimated Tax Payments
  3. On the next screen, click the Start/Revisit box next to Local
  4. Enter your payment(s) on the next screen, How much did you pay in local estimated taxes?   In the drop-down list select Multiple Localities/Locality Not Listed and enter the amount paid in the box. 
The payment will be included in Schedule A with other state and local incomes taxes.

The Portland Arts Tax is now listed in the 'Locality' drop-down (near the bottom)
jacobthedrummer
Returning Member

Can you explain what this Estimate business is? 
Also the page mentioned states specifically "Don’t enter payments made in 2019 for 2018."

I made an Art Tax payment on 02/12/2019, and the receipt the city sent me says "Tax Year 2018." 

So why is it "estimated" if the payment goes toward a previous year?
And are you sure this should be entered if the Turbo Tax page saysa "Don’t enter payments made in 2019 for 2018." Seems like that's exactly what I'm doing. 

Thank you for the help!

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Estimates are made Quarterly and overlap the calendar year. Payments are made in January to compensate for the earnings of December.  

These payments are then applied to the tax return that is not due until (July 15, 2020 for the extended due date for tax year 2019) 

Sometimes Taxpayers make payments whenever they want. TurboTax wants to be sure the payments made are posted to the intended year. 

[Edited 03-24-2020 | 05:46 PM]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies