lsolomon21

Where do I enter to receive my Florida Homestead Tax Credit?

ColeenD3

This has nothing to do with your income tax return. It is not a credit, it is an exemption and you obtain it locally.

In the state of Florida, a $25,000 exemption is applied to the first $50,000 of your property's assessed value if your property is your permanent residence and you owned the property on January 1 of the tax year. This exemption applies to all taxes, including school district taxes.

Please see this LINK for instructions.

lsolomon21

Hi,

Thank you for the clarification.  An additional question.  I did obtain by Florida Homestead Exemption.   Where exactly would I see my savings show up in terms of actual dollars.  For example, I paid this amount _________ for ___________ prior to the Florida Homestead exemption.  Now I should be paying this amount ________ for __________________ after the filing of the Florida Homestead exemption.

If you could provide an example similar to what I am looking for above, it would help me understand better and appreciated.

Thank you.

ThomasM125

You would need to look on your Real Estate Tax Notice. You will see a column that says Exempt value$, it will typically say 50000 for certain things and 25000 for other things. Multiply the Millage Rate listed for each taxing authority by the Exempt Value$ amount to determine how much money you are saving due to the homestead exemption.