Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

User49462
Returning Member

Where do I claim credit for the composite tax paid on my behalf on a partnership if I have to file individual return as CA nonresident due to other income sources?

According to the FTB Publication 1067 Guidelines for Filing a Group Form 540NR, I would have to file an individual tax return because there are other income sources separate from the group nonresident return

Since I have to file the individual tax return that includes all source income including the partnership income, where do I claim credit for the composite tax paid so that I am not taxed twice (once on the group return, and again on the individual tax return)?

Exception: The individual may discover after the group return was filed that he or she did not qualify to be included in the group nonresident return. For example, the individual had income from other California sources that were not reported on any other group nonresident return. The individual must file a return on a
separate basis reporting all his or her California source income. Having other sources of California losses will not disqualify the individual from being included in a group nonresident return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
User49462
Returning Member

Where do I claim credit for the composite tax paid on my behalf on a partnership if I have to file individual return as CA nonresident due to other income sources?

I think I may have figured out where to enter the composite taxes paid on my behalf, but maybe an expert can confirm.  However if I do so, I won't be able to e-file the California state return.

I entered the composite taxes paid on my behalf under 

Federal Taxes > Deductions & Credits > Estimates and Other Taxes Paid > Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099 > State Withholding

Screenshot.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies