Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gonzusa

Where can I find the homestead tax credit for Iowa?

My wife and I are first time homeowners in 2020. We found a place to enter our Mortgage Interest Credit Certificate info, but can't a place to enter our Iowa Homestead Tax Credit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You can apply for the Iowa Homestead Tax Credit by filling out Homestead Tax Credit Application 54-028.  For additional information and for a copy of the application, please go to the Iowa Department of Revenue web site. 

gonzusa

We've already applied for it and been approved by the State of Iowa... I'm wondering how we include it in our TurboTax reporting. There's a plethora of tax credits available in state reporting, but the Homestead TC isn't an option.

You are confused because of the word "tax"   ... the HOMESTEAD tax credit  reduces your REAL ESTATE taxes  it is NOT an INCOME tax credit on the state income tax  return thus there is no place to enter it.   

You file the application to have a homestead exemption put on the property so you pay less RE taxes  not less income taxes   ...  https://tax.iowa.gov/sites/default/files/2020-01/HomesteadTaxCredit%2854028%29.pdf

1....jpg

Check your filing instructions carefully.

In my state, you do not subtract your homestead rebate credit from your state property tax deduction on your state tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies