Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hutnickk
Returning Member

Where are Medicare premiums input so correct impact to OH taxes

On Ohio return there is a worksheet for unreimbursed medical & health care expenses worksheet.  It will allow a deduction for Medicare premiums paid during part of year were eligible for Medicare if it exceeds 7.5% of Ohio IT 1040line 1.  However I can not find a spot to enter this info.  I was told by a TT support person to put in as medical expense on itemized federal but for OH don't need to itemize to get this deduction and even if input there it pulls the amount to line 1 on OH worksheet, which will be included in a total that is not subject to a limit so the amount will impact OH incorrectly.   Does anyone know where this s/b input.  This should not be that difficult by the support team eventually suggested they could transfer me to CPA help which would result in a charge.  Why would I pay for something that I know is a correct handling based on OH instructions and it appears to be an issue with TT?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

If you are receiving Social Security and paying for your Medicare from your Social Security, then when you enter your SSA1099 there is a box that shows the Medicare you paid for.   You enter that on the same screen as the Social Security benefits you received and that Medicare amount flows over in federal to the medical expense section.   Information then flows from the federal return to the state return ---- so it should be there on your OH forms.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hutnickk
Returning Member

Person is not yet receiving SS so no SSA form received.

Ah....okay....so then they can be entered on the federal form and they will flow over to the state.....

To enter your medical expenses go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Medical>Medical Expenses

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

As xmasbaby0 said, if you enter your medical expenses in the federal section, it will flow automatically to the Ohio return.  If not, the Ohio interview gives you a single box to enter your total medical expenses (including Medicare premium).  

At the screen "Here's the  income Ohio handles differently", scroll down to Medical / Medical expenses, health care or long term care.  Click start or edit or revisit.  The box you get will be prepopulated with what you entered in the federal section.  You can change it.  You will get a 2nd, separate box, to enter long term care premiums, which are not subject to the 7.5% of AGI threshold

Hutnickk
Returning Member

Nice try but nope doesn't work I went through that already.  When you edit the Medical, box it:

1. Any Medical expense, health care and Long-term care.   YES

2. Employer paid or Medicare health insurance plan:

Entire year

Part of the year --- choose this as person became eligible for Medicare part way through 2020

None of the year

3. Medical care expense....  See Note

NOTE: Do bot include premiums you will enter next if you were not covered by an employer paid or Medicare health plan.   

4. Premiums paid out-of-pocket for Insurance?

Enter below......for the part of 2020 where you were NOT eligible to participate in Medicare or Employer paid health care plan.    (bold and underlined is on the screen)

>  Based on that, would have expected that the next screen would ask for premiums while were eligible, just as the OH form describes but nope goes to long-term care insurance and then back to the original OH handles things differently screen.   If ignore the note and enter on screen 4 the values flow to OH form line 1 which is not subject to 7.5% limit which is where the value goes if entered on federal info as medical expenses.  Try it...   Or is it just my version?

Hal_Al
Level 15

@Hutnickk  said " Based on that, would have expected that the next screen would ask for premiums while were eligible"

It's not the next screen; it's the same screen.

Premiums paid out-of-pocket for Insurance?

Enter below......for the part of 2020 where you were NOT eligible to participate in Medicare or Employer paid health care plan.   

BSmyers

This is still a problem with the TurboTax 2023 Premium Desktop Version when using the Step-By-Step mode, where TurboTax asks a series of questions.

The workaround I found is to:

1. Click on the Forms button in the Upper Right corner of TurboTax.

2. Then, on the Left Navigation Pane, Click on "Ohio Individual / Medical Wks" to open the Ohio Medical Worksheet form.

3. Then click on the Ohio Medical Worksheet form Line 3 number and enter your value.

4. Then Click on the Step-By-Step button in the Upper Right corner of TurboTax to continue entering your taxes, by being asked questions.

The bug in TurboTax is that, in Step-By-Step mode, TurboTax will not ask a question to enter the value for Line 3 of the Ohio Medical Worksheet.

Today, I called TurboTax support and reported this bug. The support person I talked told me it could be a while until this is fixed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies