turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

when did turbo tax start allowing California State Use Tax

I am trying to find out when Turbo Tax started to put the ability to enter in and calculate state/local taxes for items purchased on the internet into their software.  I know I did it for the last two years (2018, 2017), but not sure if it was there prior to that.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I believe TT has asked about CA use tax for as long as CA has required it to be on the CA tax return - many years ago.   TurboTax does not support any year older than 2015 and I know it was way before that.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

To my astonishment, California enacted the Use Tax in 1935 (https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/taxes-and-fees/sales-use-tax-rates-history.htm). Of course, California might not have added it to the state income tax return until later, but as macuser_22 noted, it has surely been for a long time. And I agree that TurboTax almost certainly added the Use Tax (currently line 91 on Form 540) in the first year that it was added to the state income tax forms.

The immediately available online CA forms go back only to 2015, but the Use Tax was there (still line 91).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies