Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What to do with dependent care fsa money if i am not eligible to use it due to non-working, non-full-time-student?

hi, i put in $2000 in dependent care FSA, and found that i am able to use it, because my wife does not work and only part-time in school. 

what shall i do with the $2000? 

what would happen to the $2000? would i add it to my w2? would i pay tax on it even though i can't use it?

(we file tax married jointly)

thanks!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

What to do with dependent care fsa money if i am not eligible to use it due to non-working, non-full-time-student?

You will pay tax on it since it did not qualify as tax exempt. TurboTax (TT) handles this somewhat automatically.

The $2000 dependent care benefit is in box 10 of your W-2. When TT sees that it will send you to the dependent care interview. When you fail to qualify, TT will complete form 2441 to calculate the taxable portion (all, in your case) and add the $2000 to line 7 of form 1040, with the notation DCB

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

You will pay tax on it since it did not qualify as tax exempt. TurboTax (TT) handles this somewhat automatically.

The $2000 dependent care benefit is in box 10 of your W-2. When TT sees that it will send you to the dependent care interview. When you fail to qualify, TT will complete form 2441 to calculate the taxable portion (all, in your case) and add the $2000 to line 7 of form 1040, with the notation DCB

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies