Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tsaenz21

What’s total sales tax rate? It’s asking me to fill that in before I file but I’m not sure what it is

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW222
Expert Alumni

What’s total sales tax rate? It’s asking me to fill that in before I file but I’m not sure what it is

In the context of the state and local tax deduction when you're itemizing deductions, this is the sum of your state sales tax rate and your local tax rate. 

For example, if your state sales tax rate is 7.25%, and your local (city) tax rate is 1%, you'd enter 8.25%.

If you'll enter your city, state and "total sales tax rate" into any search engine, you can find your relevant rate quickly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnW222
Expert Alumni

In the context of the state and local tax deduction when you're itemizing deductions, this is the sum of your state sales tax rate and your local tax rate. 

For example, if your state sales tax rate is 7.25%, and your local (city) tax rate is 1%, you'd enter 8.25%.

If you'll enter your city, state and "total sales tax rate" into any search engine, you can find your relevant rate quickly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies