Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

What is the correct state source(s) of income for mineral rights? (See added details)

I live in Kansas and in 2018 I received mineral rights rents and royalty income from property located in Oklahoma. 

 On my federal return Turbo Tax processed the rents as other income in Schedule 1 and the royalty income in Schedule E.

 I get confused when it comes to determining the “state source of income” so my question is do I have to report and pay taxes for the rents and royalty income in (1) Kansas only, (2) Both Kansas and Oklahoma, or (3) just only in Oklahoma?  

1 Reply
Level 15

What is the correct state source(s) of income for mineral rights? (See added details)

The source of the income is OK.

Your resident state of KS will tax all income regardless of where made.

Oklahoma nonresident Filing Requirements
Every nonresident with Oklahoma source gross income of $1,000 or more is required to file an Oklahoma income tax return.

I do not know how much income you have in OK , but if it is greater than $1,000 do the OK return before the KS return as you will get a credit on the KS return for taxes paid to another state.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies