Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the ca-sdi deduction on my w-2

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

That is California state disability insurance.  It is a mandatory tax.

When entering your w-2, put your CA SDI amount in box 14 instead of box 19 (if it is in 19) so that it will be deducted as part of your state/local income taxes paid.

The max for Calif. SDI for 2013 is $100,880 wages x 1% = $1,008.80 tax.  It is a hard maximum imposed by payroll laws. Please enter the cents for this amount.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

That is California state disability insurance.  It is a mandatory tax.

When entering your w-2, put your CA SDI amount in box 14 instead of box 19 (if it is in 19) so that it will be deducted as part of your state/local income taxes paid.

The max for Calif. SDI for 2013 is $100,880 wages x 1% = $1,008.80 tax.  It is a hard maximum imposed by payroll laws. Please enter the cents for this amount.

I had an issue b/c my box 20 is empty, but it's not supposed to be if CASDI is listed in box 19. When searching, I found that box 14 vs box 19 is a common issue for CASDI. The CA government website says it belongs in box 19. Check the bottom of page 114 titled STATE DISABILITY INSURANCE.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/vita/Training_Course/Catalog/TWTips.pdf">https://www.ftb.ca.gov/i...>

I ended up putting it in Box 19 instead of Box 14. I have Itemized Deductions. Is this a problem? Have I lost on refund? Any way to determine how much money I would have lost so that I can make a call whether to amend return?

The max for CA SDI for 2018
The maximum SDI to withhold from employees' paychecks for 2018 is $1,149.67, up from $998.12 for 2017.

If the amount in box 19 exceeds this amount then Turbo tax will give an error message and fail to e-file. 

Box 19 must be adjusted to no more than the maximum limit. Limit may apply to all W2's having CA SDI entries.

Form W-2 is a federal form, not a state form, so the instructions for the federal W-2 is what should be followed. Those instructions state SDI should be in box 14, not 19, whether the state website says box 19 or not. Here are the W-4 instructions from the IRS W2 instructions form and it's on the back of the W-2:

Box 14. Employers may use this box to report information such as state disability insurance taxes withheld, union dues, uniform payments, health insurance premiums deducted, nontaxable income, educational assistance payments, or a member of the clergy’s parsonage allowance and utilities. Railroad employers use this box to report railroad retirement (RRTA) compensation, Tier 1 tax, Tier 2 tax, Medicare tax, and Additional Medicare Tax. Include tips reported by the employee to the employer in railroad retirement (RRTA) compensation.

BTW: opinions on these things should always be backed up with references to credible sources. Even as a CPA, the opinion is not necessarily a credible source. Hope this helps!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies