Solved: We owe NC $30 that we efiled along with Federal and Virginia which we are getting refunds. My question was the $30 deducted from the refund?

We owe NC $30 that we efiled along with Federal and Virginia which we are getting refunds. My question was the $30 deducted from the refund?

No...Never.  You cannot direct a refund from one Fed or State tax department to pay another.   

They simply won't wait for it if there is any "problem" with the refund...and then the finger pointing would start....Thus they won't do it in the first place.

___________

For paying NC, you "might" have  arranged a direct Debit, when you e-filed...or you may have bypassed that and had to make the payment separately.

Print Out/ OR save your entire filing forms (Fed, VA, and NC) to a PDF file, and look at the NC Electronic Filing Instructions sheet.  If you arranged the debit-payment when you e-filed, it will look like the sheet pictured below.

IF you didn't arrange the Debit...then you can go here to arrange it with the NC D400V e-payment site:

https://eservices.dor.nc.gov/d400v/d400vContact.jsp

*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

___________