Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Virginia form 502A

THANK YOU!

Virginia form 502A

This is the correct answer. When running the check on your return, TT will bring up the 502A Form and request that you select a box. AT THAT POINT, open Forms mode and SELECT the "Delete Form" button DIRECTLY BELOW the form in the right-hand window. NOTE: the form will not appear in the list on the left, but this WILL SOLVE the problem (Thank You jreinick). Return to "Step-by-Step" mode and complete your return.

This problem has existed for several years. I can't imagine why this has not been fixed yet.

Virginia form 502A

Yep, I'm in same situation.  VA 502, keeps erroring saying I should pick an apportionment code on Form 502A--- when I don't need to file 502A (that is only for businesses with income from other states). Annoying.  Thanks for other commenters, giving me the low down.  Basically- delete the form. (FIngers crossed that it works). 

I even pulled up the VA instructions for the 502A calculations on this form and this code, pheeew they are complicated and none seem to apply to my business.  I wouldn't want to try to jam something in to avoid the error code.

neil65

Virginia form 502A

Yes, thank you! Deleting the form let me complete the process and e-file. I wish Turbotax would fix this ongoing issue, it has been happening for several years.

carymva

Virginia form 502A

Yep, deleting the 502A worked for me too.  Wish they had the software correct, but I was still able to file my return.

Virginia form 502A

Glad this helps everyone!  I have spent 3 years tackling this issue and spent 10+ hours on the phone each year with TT to try to resolve this issue.  Last years fix of deleting the Form 502A was the solution, but TT has not made any software adjustments for the Virginia Tax Form submittal process that gets hung up on "error checking".  So continue to delete the FORM 502A and make a post-it note for your tax file for next year assuming the same issue will reoccur as it did this tax year.  I wrote a huge note in my tax folder for a reminder.

Virginia form 502A

I had same problem. None of the boxes apply to my business. Called VA tax dept. On hold then transferred then after she kept checking on it, phone disconnected. Sooo frustrating. Searched that form, found this link and it worked for me.

Always something with TT. Will go with other software next year. Had to file business return without a balance sheet because it would not accept my entries on retained earnings! Hate Turbo Tax.

eyerdje
Returning Member

Virginia form 502A

this is for turbotax business virginia - tax year 2022

I remember this fix - deleting form 502A from my virginia taxes and it worked for 2021 tax year..BUT for tax year 2022 The same problem rappears with requiring to fill out form 502A. THe big problem for tax year 2022 is that while the form is required to be filled out ... the form 502A is not listed in the Forms view , so I cannot delete it.

Like alot of other problems with turbotax, these problems seem to never go away with new software releases.

eyerdje
Returning Member

Virginia form 502A

For turbotax Business tax year   2022.

Same problem for TT tax year 2022 as for 2021

This solution worked and I thank you for the tip. I spent 2 hours today trying to find  fix this issue. 

This is the second year TT has had this problem... seems they never fix issues even though customers complain often

Virginia form 502A

You can delete the form by going into the Forms view. Click on the Errors icon at the top. When Form 502A comes up, click on the delete button under the form.

Virginia form 502A

So, I found that the following method works:

When asked about the apportionment, pick ANY category other than the top one and then open Forms and the 502A will appear in the left column. Open the form and remove the bogus selection you just made to make the for appear and then it will disappear from the left column, but you still have it open! Use the button below the form to delete the form. At this point, you should be able to file electronically without this error.

TurboTax, please FIX this problem! We pay enough for the product that this SHOULD NOT persist for years on end. I cannot imagine the total number of hours that have been wasted on this problem.

Virginia form 502A

I am having the same issue with Form 502A - will follow what others in this post have done and delete the form.

In addition, I have an issue in Form 502PTET where I am being forced to enter a non zero number for number of non resident and fiduciary owners (I only have 2 VA resident owners). Have any of you come across this problem and have a solution?

Thanks!

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Virginia form 502A

This experience has been reported and is currently being investigated. You may sign up for progress updates here: Why am I receiving an error on my Virginia Business Form 502 PTET Line A?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Virginia form 502A

Thank you.

I have one other issue - I had a loss in 2022 but TurboTax does not allow entry of a negative amount in Line 1 Total Taxable Income Amounts on Form 502PTET. I am forced to enter a zero. As per Form 502PTET instructions, entry of a negative amount is allowed. I have reported this issue (on the TT forum) but have not received a resolution yet

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Virginia form 502A

We were unable to duplicate this experience. Our test returns have a loss reported on Line 1 of Form 502 PTET as a negative number without error. There are errors in Section 1 (allocation of income), but these relate to the previous issue for Line a (number of nonresident owners).

Please check your entries on Form 1065, Schedule K, Lines 1, 2, 3c, 4, 5, 6a, 7, 8, 9a. 10, and 11. The sum of these values is carried over to Form 502 PTET Line 1.

It's possible this experience will be addressed when the updated form is released. If you signed up using the link posted previously, you can test it then.

@Differential 

[edited 2/15/2023 | 6:47 am PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies